The American Jazz Institute
The American Jazz Institute is a non-profit organization dedicated to the enrichment and enhancement of the appreciation of jazz music. From its humble beginnings in New Orleans at the turn of the century, jazz evolved into one of America’s enduring world contributions, a “universal language” understood by all.
Jazz is our life…
- To advance and promote jazz music throughout the world.
- To maintain a repertory orchestra to play new and archival jazz music.
- To educate and expose the public to jazz by live performances and panel discussions
- To support charitable endeavors that promote and advance jazz music.
- To seek and attract donations of jazz works with an emphasis on original compositions, scores, arrangements, and recordings.
- To make jazz works available for research study and education.
- To physically house, archive and preserve jazz music: compositions, scores, arrangements, recordings, artwork, photographs, film and other jazz works.
Jazz for Jazz Lovers series
September 25, 7:00-8:45 pm –Free Concert at Palm Desert High — hope you can make it.
FIND YOUR OWN VOICE
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
American Jazz Institute
The FIND YOUR OWN VOICE mentoring clinic will bring together high school and middle school music students and give them an opportunity to have their jazz ensembles rehearsed and evaluated by professional musicians working in both the jazz and classical areas of the music industry in Southern California.
In addition to the ensemble clinics, students will also attend a master class specifically designed for their instrument and an improvisation clinic where students will interact with world-class improvisers.
The day will conclude with an evening concert, free and open to the public, that will feature the Palm Desert High School Jazz Ensemble under the direction of Guy Lake and the American Jazz Institute Ensemble, featuring Kirsten Edkins and Jerry Pinter (saxophones), Dave Woodley (trombone), Nate Kay (trumpet), Ed Czach (piano), Putter Smith (bass), and Mark Ferber (drums).
Palm Desert High School:
Master classes: 12:15-1:15
Improvisation clinic: 1:30-2:15
Ensemble clinics: 2:30-4:00
Help Support Our Underwriters
Board of Directors
Alan P. Schultz
Audree Coke Kenton (1922-2012)
Gene Lees (1928-2010)